Saturday, March 9, 2013

Happy Mothers Day

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY

Happy Mothers’ Day to all those good mums out there.  I/we (Taff, Nancy and I) hope you have a wonderful day.  Fortunately, although the weather forecast was ‘cold’, the blackbird’s singing, there’s no wind, and it’s mild.  Here’s hoping for a dry, sunny day!

Unfortunately, I’m not able to share Mothering Sunday with my mum today, as she passed away when I was a teenager.  In fact the only time I remember Mothers’ Day at all, was buying a little china plate (the size of a saucer) with kittens on, from the local hardware store, with my brother and day, for 10p (which she put on the wall in the kitchen proudly) !

However, assuming that I could go back in time (like borrow Dr Who’s TARDIS, in fact I might be Dr Who anyway i.e. the first female Dr Who!), and I could pick my mum up, and rest of family, and come back to 10th March 2013… then I’d plan our day something like this.

Get on what used to be called ‘My Sunday Best’, get Taff to do same, give Nancy a brush, jump in TARDIS and one second later we’d be back.

I’d have already given her a memory tablet, which would let her know about computers, and the internet, videojug, Youtube, sky, cookery channels (as Delia, Fanny, Ken Hom and Madhur Jaffrey were the only chefs that would have been around in the 80s that I can think of).  We’d catch up on those another day, as there would be lots more days, as many as we wanted J

Then I’d run my mum a bath with lovely sea salt or Radox Salts (as it seems to be the only type of thing you can get from the supermarket these days).  Meanwhile, I’d give her a massive bunch of flowers (that had been put in magic water to last forever), like the ones you get on Neighbours.  Also, a card, and some felt creation of some sort that I’d made, and a homemade cake to take home later. Oh, and a big box of milk tray, as she loved milk tray being a brummy (i.e. from Birmingham).

Once mum had had a soak, I’d get the coffee pot on (i.e. a 1950s coffee pot that my Dad got from the jumble sale in the 80s, which does amazing coffee), and warm up some pain au chocolat, and munch on those round the table whilst we listened to classical music, or Peters and Lee, David Essex, or the Beatles (those were her record collection).  Taff would sing her some songs whilst playing the guitar, but it would be too early for me to play the kazoo; and he’d also read her some poetry in one of his many convincing accents.

We’d then go for a walk along the seafront and feed the birds.  I’d hold her hand (it seems such an age since I did that, I can’t remember what it felt like, I know they were large hands though J).  

Off we’d trundle to a Sunday Carvery, a treat, we’d pay.  Our first family meal ever, as we never went out for a meal, just the four of us back then (mum, dad, me, twin brother), but five to include Taff.  Some sort of ‘School Pud’ would be for afters, stodgy sweet suet with syrup, or toffee, or chocolate or all three, with lashings of custard.  Followed by a pot of tea and the obligatory after eight mint.

Another walk by the sea, to deflate (is that the opposite of inflate, not sure, will check…  yep it is) the old tum tum, before going to some local museums, and an art gallery if we had one.  I think we’d have to use the TARDIS to go to London as well.

Then we’d come home, sit in the garden (I’d magic some sun) and do some weeding, and planting of seeds. Though I’d probably let mum watch whilst she was sunning herself, and have a rest, as she was always non-stop 365 days a year.

Then I’d pour her a few sherbets, some wine or Baileys (she loved Baileys), before going back in the Tardis as it would have been a tiring day, all that walking round museums, and emotional.  I’d give her a big hug and a kiss, and tell her I loved her (something I never did, regrettably, as I was unaware of everything and lived in a bubble L), and arrange for our next trip.  It would probably be tomorrow, as we’d have over 25 years to catch up on – something that a memory tablet wouldn’t be able to do.

But before I would leave, I’d read her this, and then give her another kiss.


Mum

I know you are, my only mum
Though I do not, always thank you
For being there, when I need help
A listening ear, or big warm hug

In fact if I, recall my past
You’ve never let, me down at all
I only need, to call your name
And you are with, me by my side

If I could buy, a gift for you
I’d buy a world, of butterflies
As you are truly priceless  mum
A golden soul, and goodly egg

Thank you for being my mum

So, that’s what I’d do.  Alas, I can’t.  But I did have a Mothers’ Day Card from Nancy this morning (left on the computer for when I got up), with some Cadburys Bubbly, chocolate which I’ve never had before… breakfast me thinks.  I believe Taff would have helped Nancy though, as although I think it’s possible for an animal to have a bank account (Rover is a name that springs to mind!?!?!), Nancy wouldn’t have been able to reach the counter, or hold the debit card to type in the pin number, at the counter – maybe in the future, but not presently. 

Anyway, enough ramblings.  Here’s wishing you all a Happy Mothers’ Day, or a Happy Day.

LOL

Pam
J




No comments:

Post a Comment