Friday, January 24, 2014

THE NEW ME... I'M DRINKING LIKE A FISH (DAY 3)

Delicious vegetables for Pam Heggerty
 


OK... so it's day 3 of being the new me and being on a diet.  I'm still being good and haven't relapsed (if that's a word!?!?)... yet. :)  I've realised that if I'm going to crack this thing, and lose weight, and be on this flour-free, refined-sugar-free, alcohol-free diet, I have to plan.

I decided to go to the gym early yesterday before my dentist appointment.  Unfortunately my pumps (trainers) were in the wash.  Luckily Taff wasn't using his trainers so I managed to borrow them.  The only downside is that he's 1/2 shoe size smaller than me and so my feet were a little squashed - now I know what it's like to be a professional model!

The gym went OK.  I did 3x20 reps, low weights, of the leg press, lats, shoulders, chest, biceps and triceps.  I even did some abdoms, though I'm rubbish at doing them as most of my back still stays on the floor. 

Had a banana and then went to get my tooth out which I'm very sad about.  Although the story's a whole blog in itself I'll be brief.  

We (better half Taff and I) are very much believers in prevention rather than cure.  Hence we were always fans of the 'hygienist' to give our teeth a scrape and polish to try and remove plaque etc.  However, when we moved areas, hygienists weren't evidently visible.  I even wrote to the director of the local hospital to obtain a list of hygienists to no avail.  Eventually we located one.... a hygienist (we have to pay privately) at our local NHS dental practice, obviously hidden away as she'd been there for over a year!  By the time I saw the hygienist, and with a great effort on her part in trying to save the tooth, the gum disease in the cavity was too severe, hence the requirement to remove my tooth.

So why am I sad?  It turns out that, at the time, you could only have a hygienist if you were referred to by your dentist.  So, if no referral, no hygienist, which is what happened in my case.  Things are slightly better now, as the rules for hygienists have changed a little.  However I don't think hygienists can self-promote which is ridiculous as a good hygienist is as important as a good dentist.  Anyway, enough grumbling. All I'd like to say is that I wish every NHS Dental Practice had a hygienist, where you paid NHS rates, and the hygienist was allowed to self-promote to battle the fight against gum disease.

Had my tooth pulled after some anaesthetic and crackling sounds from the root being extracted. Went home, felt OK, did some paperwork, until the numbness wore off, then had a headache (which I never get) and felt really drained with no energy.  Had a magazine interview and then went to bed for a nanna-nap.  Woke up, and relaxed watching some pre-taped programmes on TV whilst doing some knitting.  Went to bed early and now here I am.

I did manage to eat some food yesterday as the hunger pains still exist, but also drank milk and water like a fish.  I was tempted with a glass of chilled white wine last night but refrained from drinking the golden nectar. 

What I ate on Day 2

Snack
1 glass milk (full fat)
1 banana
1 banana again
1 glass milk
1 glass milk

Brunch
Pam Haggerty - a hotpotch of whatever vegetables we have in the cupboards/fridge
  • Courgettes, leaks, onion, celery, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, leftover boiled potatoes, lightly fried in coconut oil and sweated in water, black and white pepper added to cooked cauliflower in a dish, and covered in some cheese sauce (cottage cheese, cream cheese, dash of cream) and a sprinkling of parmesan before baking in the oven. 

1 pint water

Snack
1 cup hot milk

Dinner
Curried meatballs in a curried-tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 fat sausages mixed with curry powder and rolled into little balls and gently fried in coconut oil dropped in a sauce (cheap tinned chopped tomatoes, onion, curry paste, tomato puree)
6 prunes in juice (tinned)


As you can see I didn't starve!

Lots of food planning today, but I'll tell you about it tomorrow. 


Signing out

Pam
:)

Pam Jones
website - pamandtaffjones.com
Mummy of Nancy Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment