Wednesday, January 22, 2014

THE NEW ME.... I'M STARTING A DIET (DAY 1)

Favourite pastime - Eating 'Pompey' Jack cake and glugging sweet tea

OK... so turning 40 just over a year ago was a big deal for me.  I had reached so-called middle-age and had a life review.  My blood family had all passed and I'd hardly achieved anything that I'd wanted to do in life.  Thus, I decided to change things.

A year on, life is slightly more exciting...

My book Riddles by a J.R.R. Tolkien Fan is published (though sales are negligible)... I've started being a freelance writer (no work published yet, but am hopeful).... and we've recently been in the local News and Daily Mail and on BBC Radio Solent.

However, seeing myself in a recent video, I looked fat and rather a simpleton, with laboured breath.  Yet on the inside (and in the mirror) I feel thin and geeky.  Admittedly... I'm never going to be an oil-painting as I'm not photogenic. I'm never going to be a model as I'm only 5ft 6inches tall.  But, I would like to look glam and pretty and lose some weight.

What have I got going for me?
  1. I'm only 41 - Not as good as 21 but it's better than 101 when starting a diet.
  2. I've got a brain - Well I think I have... I don't hear a rattle or emptiness when I move my head.
  3. I'm a great researcher - Addicted to the internet
  4. I've studied a little human biology at University
  5. I have some knowledge of diet and nutrition - Gleaned from Taff (better half)
  6. I know a little about weight-training - Gleaned from Taff
  7. I've got a personal tutor if required (i.e. Taff )
  8. I can cook

What have I got going against me?
  1. I'm no spring chicken - I'm 41 not 21
  2. My body type means I will never be a size 10 - I'm not a true ectomorph, in fact I'm more meso-endo.
  3. I'm 5ft 6
  4. I'm 85kg (187 Ib) which means on a BMI table I'm overweight bordering on obesity.
  5. I'm not photogenic
  6. I wear glasses.
  7. I've wavy hair which means my hair never gets long.
  8. I don't really do make-up or metallic jewellery - I get all itchy and sweat with make-up and react to metal.
  9. I'm a browny/greying/ginger - Would love to be a rich ruby Scottish red
  10. I've never stuck to a diet in my life - The longest success time was 3 days!
  11. I love home-made cakes and sweet cups of tea.
  12. I drink too much alcohol - According to my doctor
  13. I also have a red Rudolph-reindeer nose - Probably due to alcohol
  14. I don't do fruit - I'm not allergic to it, I just don't crave fruit... unlike cakes. 
  15. I'm not a millionaire so the diet will have to be on a budget.
  16. I have heavy periods - I know a taboo subject (which it shouldn't be), but it is restricting e.g. For 12 weeks a year I can't swim or go to a sauna or steam room. 
I have a plan
  1.  I'm going to try and write a blog every day to get me motivated. 
  2. I must write something helpful or interesting in the blog, so that it's not all about me, in the aim to help others... or at least make them laugh.
  3. Cut out alcohol, sugar, and flour.
  4. If I have a relapse I can only eat Stevia (sugar substitute with a bitter taste) and gluten-free flour.
  5. Eat fruit and more vegetables.
  6. Plan my meals.
  7. Price up some contact lenses.
  8. Empty the kitchen cupboards of goodies.
  9. Write a food diary of what I eat... and review.
  10. Go to the gym.
  11. Oh... and get weighed at Boots for some statistics in addition to getting Taff to measure me.
     
     
So..... hopefully I will achieve Day 1 and see you again tomorrow for Day 2!

Wish me luck.

Signing off

Pam
:)

Pam Jones
pamandtaffjones.com
Mummy of Nancy Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment