Wednesday, January 29, 2014

THE NEW ME....A CREATURE OF HABIT (DAY 7) - A diet with no refined sugar, flour, or alcohol

 
Lettuce carbonara

I started off the day well, and was good.  This lasted until my friend came round for a baking lesson and a bite to eat (no blame on my friend only myself). 

As you may know, I luuuuuuuv cakes, and love to bake.  So my friend and I made a couple of cakes.  The first was an impressive looking Swiss Roll.  Of course I had to take a slice, it would have been rude not to!  However, it was the same, original, disappointing, eggy flavour that I remember as a teenager when I made a Delia Smith chocolate version (Note: This is not a dig at Delia, as Delia is a Goddess).  Our version sadly didn't taste like a shop bought one, even though we were strict to stick to the recipe - a rarity for me - and even had full gluten flour!  I think I'll have to have a go at making my own version with butter and gluten-free flour... not sure if it will roll and crack though.

The second cake we made, rather pudding, was the amazing Banoffee Pie.  I must admit, I'd had 'banoffee' from shops a handful of times but always found it bland and expensive.  Then late last year I made my own from a recipe online.  I was an immediate addict.  I don't know if it's because it was invented in the UK (East Sussex) in the year I was born, but I know I just loved it.  Easy to make, relatively cheap, very tasty, and impressive looking.  But, the recipe we used yesterday was from a book we (Taff, Nancy and I) gave our friend for Christmas.  This time we adapted it, as their quantities were suspect.  This time, I didn't eat a slice, as I could imagine the ambrosial sweet caramel, with gooey bananas and rich double cream in my mouth.  Pat on the back for me.

I then cooked us Spaghetti Carbonara.  My friend had spaghetti, and because I didn't have any gluten-free pasta, I had lettuce instead.  A nice refreshing green taste to offset the rich cheesy sauce.  I was pleasantly surprised.

So... it doesn't sound too bad, just one piece of home-made Swiss Roll to contravene my diet.  But wait, once my friend had gone, to wind down I had some wine.  I didn't even necessarily crave it, I just wanted to wind down... more out of habit than anything else.  Therefore, I have no sympathy for myself waking up with a headache - after all alcohol is a poison.  I wouldn't mind but I didn't have masses. My body obviously is getting used not to having it. 

What I ate yesterday (Day 6)

Snack
1 glass almond milk
2 large mouthfuls Taff's home-made chilli - mince, coconut oil, green peppers, chillis, passata, salt,
      pepper, Worcestershire sauce

Breakfast
Leftover potatoes - gently fried in coconut oil and mixed dried herbs
4 cherry tomatoes - dry fried
1 piece bacon - dry fried
1 poached egg
Heinz tomato sauce
1 mug hot milk - I'm missing a nice hot cup of sweet tea

Lunch
1 small slice gorgonzola cheese
1bowl Greek style yoghurt
1/2 glass milk

Snack
1 small piece gorgonzola

Dinner
Carbonara sauce - garlic, spring onion and bacon gently fried in butter with strong Cheddar and
        Smoked Cheddar cheese and double cream
Lettuce (iceburg)
1 glass water
Wine

I MUST TRY HARDER!

Signing out

Pam
:)

Writer, creator and thinker
website - pamandtaffjones.com
Mummy of Nancy Jones (star of 'Tales of Nancy Jones' children's book by Taff Jones)

No comments:

Post a Comment