Sunday, February 23, 2014

THE NEW ME... A CREATIVE DAY (DAY DAY 33) - A gluten free, natural sugars, less alcohol diet


Fruit by Gary Paul De La Cour Renouf

Worn out with business and paperwork I had a lay-in until 5ish, after 8 hours sleep.  Sick of looking at the pile of paperwork I decided that I would ignore it just for one day, as without a doubt it would not miraculously disappear.

Watched an odd film on BBI iPlayer called Synechdoche with Philip Seymour Hoffman and other great actors such as Samantha Morton (a Nottingham actress of which I'm a big fan who I remember on UK TV from the early-mid 90s)... whilst I did some knitting.  Knitting is such a slow exercise. Even 3D origami and patchwork grows quicker. 

Started constructing my WW1 themed patchwork quilt.  I haven't cut all the pieces yet, however I thought it wise to construct a 'flower' shape to see if it was feasible.  Fortunately, having already cut about 1500 pieces, I created my first section, chuffed.

So, around lunchtime Taff (husband and better half) and I went out as I have a couple of pieces to write.. the first reviewing a café the second reviewing an exhibition or similar event.  Reviewing a café or restaurant for me is a tough one, as we rarely frequent such places.  Why?  Because we can cook better food at home which costs a quarter of the price. 

My first review for the month, a couple of days ago, was to be a well-known (to the local area) cakery/tea-room.  Our second visit to this posy joint advanced a little further this time.  We actually sat down at a table for two, in this extremely noisy environment with no drinks or cake menus, as telepathy was required.  After 5 minutes of frustration we left, as before.  I don't like doing bad reviews so I thought I'd try another venue about a mile down the road in a popular café area yesterday.

First impressions were good, myriads of cakes and breads arranged to dazzle the eyes and salivate the taste buds.  Yet the experience was cosy but posy, again frustrating, with no menus at all, dead flowers in a vase, limp warm salad, the incorrect order, no milk for the tea, poor attention to detail, a dirty toilet and overpriced.  I shall go no further.  Taff said I shouldn't feel bad about doing a bad review.  I suppose he's right as perhaps the only way we will get decent food in the UK is to constructively comment. 

Disappointment for wasting £9 for 1 tea, 1 coffee and some bland quiche with limp salad leaves, we went to The Square Tower http://www.squaretower.co.uk/crafts_in_the_tower.html.  We met the lovely Diana Wren (a ceramist)

 

.... and some other familiar and new faces in addition to Gary Paul Del La Cour Renouf (an amazing wood turner) and Ian Newman (a gold leaf and cut-glass expert creator plus heritage restorer).  Such a lovely atmosphere, chatting with people possessing amazing talent, in a 15th century building (also a wedding venue) that also had a warm and cosy vintage tearoom at affordable prices.  Sadly, spent up on a budget, we put the tearooms on hold for the following month, even though I was extremely tempted with the smell of hot soup wafting through the venue.

A little more positive, dropped some flyers off at the local museum which we call Camelot and returned home to patchwork, a visit (chat and jangle) from our friend, some tasty soul-food, TV and bed.

What I ate yesterday (Day 32)

Snack
1 glass milk
Applewood smoked cheese + 6 olives
1 mushroom dipped in Mr Naga chilli paste
1 glass water
1 mug tea +  honey
3 small pieces cooked potato pieces with salad cream

Brunch
1 cup earl grey tea
1 mouthful of quiche
2 limp salad leaves
Vinaigrette

Dinner
Turkey escalope
Fried potatoes
Tomato sauce
Salad - cherry tomatoes, red pepper, courgette, cucumber, red wine vinegar
1 glass water
Wine + elderflower presse

Signing out

Pam
:)

Writer, creator and thinker
http://www.pamandtaffjones.com/
Mummy of Nancy Jones (star of 'Tales of Nancy Jones' children's book by Taff Jones)





No comments:

Post a Comment